8v head questions

Was wondering if a CIS or CIS-e head is usable on a digifant car? I have an

89 Golf and i think the head gasket is starting to go and i have 2 spare heads, one off of an 85 Jetta and another off of a 87 Jetta. If i could use one of the Jetta heads it would cut down on the time it would take to replace the Golf head. I could rebuild a spare one and just swap the manifolds onto the other head. Can anyone help?

Oh, yeah something else about heads. I figured if I'm changing the head gasket i might as well freshen up the head. I plan on changing the cam followers and the valve seals. I know for the valve seals the springs have to be removed, but to get the seals out should get a machine shop to do it or is it a do it yourself type job?

Thanks in advance

MItch

Reply to
Mitch

Don't think so as the injector openings are different. Take a look and see...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thats where i kind of figured the differences would be.

Thanks

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

That said, what really counts is the inserts. One time I was bored to death and went to play with the parts bin. Depending on the year, the plastic insert that is screwed into the CIS head has the same threads as the one in the digifant. In fact, I do believe that was true for the head I have for my project engine, one off a 85 GTI (the largest valves in a 8V head). So, if you have the Bentley, follow its procedure to remove the plastic inserts of each head and compare them. You may be happily surprised! =)

Reply to
Mauricio

Just unscrew and swap the injector inserts.

Espen

86 Golf GTI
Reply to
gshok