Monsoon Woes

I have a problem with the Monsoon Stereo in my '02 Golf TDI.

I've had the car just about 10 months. About two months ago my AM reception just about disappeared and my FM reception started to get weak. (This story is spread out over 2 months due to my being out of town and not being able to always get the car to the dealer too quickly.)

I brought the car to the dealer, and he replaced the entire head unit.

The reception stayed crappy, and a new problem manifested itself: the radio started to cut out for a second or so at a time, regardless of whether I was listening to AM, FM or CD. By 'cut out' I mean audio disappears while the lights etc. stay in, similar to an AMP going into overload protection.

I brought the car back, they kept it all day and then returned it saying that they ordered a whole bunch of parts. (Antenna, antenna amp, cabling and I thought they had said power amp.)

When the parts came in I made an appointment and brought the car in. When I got the car back the antenna had been replaced along with an antenna amp. Reception is now excellent. The radio still cuts out.

I call the dealer, quite irate. Bring the car in again. SVC Manager listens to the problem and tells me I need a new radio. (I ask why it was replaced in the first place....no answer.)

When I get the car back, the work order form the tech says that he recoded the radio. It seems to work fine for a few days. Then the problem reoccurs.....

I see a lot of posts in this group RE: radio coding. Does the tech recoding the radio make any sense? Has anyone seen this problem before?

At what point do I find a new dealer? It's pretty obvious that these guys don't check their work....

Reply to
Eric Goebelbecker

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

The Monsoon radio in our NB doesn't have Monsoon written on it, but when you turn the unit on, it says "Monsoon" in the display.

Reply to
Pete Cressman