Need help for a 99 passat abs module

I need a new module.. no chance it is the sensor, the module is not sending a signal at all. Was quoted $2k by the dealer for a new part and service... is it worth it? I won't obviously go through a dealer, I've already gotten other quotes for less. It's a 99 with 58k miles on it. Will it go another 100k without needing another big dollar repair??????????? Do I dare try a used part for this particular item?

Thanks for any advice!

Jessica

Reply to
Woman without $2000

This is highly unusual. Are you confident, that your mechanic knows what he is talking about? You know, it could be just a some wire broken anywhere in the car, and if the module does not get any power...

Of course you are. Althrough it is a safety related part, but just a module swap is harmless (done properly of course). Just get exactly the same part (with a identical part number). As they are not known to go bad very often, there should be no problem to buy one from a wrecked car, as I doubt, that a scrap yard can sell too many of them. So, the price of used part should not be very high.

Reply to
draugaz

What are the fault codes from the ABS unit? Or can't the ABS module even be communicated with? Chances are if you take it somewhere else they will just buy the part from the dealer since that's the only place you can get them.

2K is way too much! The dealer may not know you can now just purchase the ABS module which is in the $650 range + labor. If that's the case it shouldn't be much over $1000, if that. Don't do used as it may also fail down the road.
Reply to
Woodchuck

The mechanic at the dealer said that he gets no codes because it can't be communicated with. So for the part that is $1750, what additional parts does that have other than just the module?

Reply to
Woman without $2000

I bet he's giving a price for the complete ABS unit when only the control module which mounts to the complete unit is needed. The parts department should have a bulletin on this subject. I need to replace the module on my parents 99 Passat and the list price is about $650.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Okay, so now something strange happened. The front right cv boot needs to be replaced (was replaced about 8 months ago, and they screwed it up, and are going to be replacing it all again) So, I asked the guy at the dealership if it could be that the module isn't reading b/c of the sensor being messed up ( I took a long shot) he said no, he doesn't get a signal from the module, but would get an error code if it were the sensor. Regardless, he said he refilled the boot with grease, and cleaned the sensor just for the heck of it I guess. So I go to pick up my car this AM, and the ABS brake light doesn't come on, but does go on after I restart my car again. Could he just be an idiot and not have hooked up the testing equipment to the module, and my car is really telling me it just can't read the sensor because grease keeps leaking on it??? I guess I'll know better after they replace the boot on Monday. Thanks for the advice on the misquote... I'll be looking in to that as well.

Reply to
Woman without $2000

One more question... upon doing more research, I've found several places that you can mail your broken abs module and have them repair it, and they will send it back to you (about $250 or so) and they'll give you a five year warranty on the part! Does that make sense to do???

Reply to
Woman without $2000

It WORKED!!! I just got my car back yesterday PM, and the module now works. I sent it to modulemaster.com in ID, and it took a week for the part to get there, get fixed, and get back, but the cost including shipping was $264. He gives a five year warranty for the part, and says that it is fixed, unlike the new parts that I would have purchased. My mechanic did bleed the breaks, so he charged me three hours on the labor, but I was told by the rebuilder of the part that it was a good thing b/c changing the fluid in them is a good idea. Regardless, it work for a total of approx. $400 for the labor and shipping and part repair! I'd recommend it to anyone!!!

Jessica

Reply to
Woman without $2000