'99 Passat window control problem

Yesterday the drivers side power window and door lock controls on my '99 Passat started acting retarded. When I push the lock button nothing happens. When unlock is pushed the doors all lock. The window switches are the same, pull up nothing happens but push down and the window closes. The window and lock controls on the other doors and the remote fob work fine.

Sounds like a bad switch block, I say to myself, and off to the parts department I go. 20 minuets and $56.00 later my new drivers door switch block is in place. Same thing happens, no change.

Maybe it's a short in the wiring I think, so I pull off the door panel but don't see any obviously cut or frayed wires.

Because all the wiring seems to go through the window regulator motor, my next move is probably to try replacing that. The problem is, this repair is starting to get much more involved and expensive and I've got the feeling I'm in over my head. I hate the Idea of taking it to the dealer just to let them swap parts @ $75.00/hour, but I don't own a VAG tool and for all I know this could be a problem with the ECU. Anyone have any similar experiences or good advice to offer?

Thanks, arny

Reply to
arny

Without proper diagnosis your in way over your head. The windows and locks are part of the "convenience control module" CCU for short and needs to be scanned to see what the faults are. One thing to check is see if your carpets are wet under then because the CCU is located under the driver side carpet. The CCU communicates with each window motor which also contain control unit. And... to top things off the CCU is on a "data bus" with just about everything else in the car. You already wasted $56 so may I suggest pay the dealer the time to check the problem out!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hi Woodchuck I have a 200 Passat 1.8 4cyl T 65K miles. Wow it has had a lot of problems. just replaced the secondary air pump Used $175 new 400 + have had water leaks but on the passenger side on the outside air gasket filter assembly just above the glove compartment. Been in a couple of times for check engine light some caused by shady mechanic @ VW Dealer. Anyway latest problem is RF Window regulator I have had the door apart several times suspect the electronic module on the regulator assembly. The window will operate if I disconnect then reconnect large connector on the unit for a while then stop working . Does not work from driver side switch @ all. Kind of don't think it is a broken wire or short because you can drive the window up and down and then it will just stop. all the other windows and door locks work fine.You mentioned a ccu unit in the last post do you know if the 2000 has a similar unit? Did pricing and have run the used part circuit they want $400+ for the entire unit new, used are in scarce supply. Almost positive it is the electronic module. also noticed when you do a global locking of the doors from the remote or from the key on the driver side the horn would give a short beep. That is not happening probably because it is not talking to that door module. Nobody will sell separate. Lot of surface mount stuff on the board. Do you have any suggestions? Used parts sources ? Some knowledge of electronics but no way to test. sorry so lengthy

"Woodchuck" wrote in message news:3f11f0e1$0$80500$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.city-net.com...

Reply to
M.K.

I found the interconnect behind the cover you described. There are two black connector plugs that interface to the entire door wire harness there was no evidence of water damage or corrosion in the connector. It basically reacts the same way as disconnecting the plug on the regulator. All I have to do is disconnect it and reconnect it and it will work for about ten minutes and stop. I did not find the ccu unit under the driver side seat like you said it is in the 99 Passat. This model also has the feature to be able to close all the windows and lock all of the doors from the driver door key entry. Or open all the windows and doors from the same key switch. the passenger side door and window does not respond to any of these commands. I think my next move may be that diagnostic device you mentioned. Do you have any sources for that ? Thanks

Reply to
M.K.