Oil Filter problem

Hi.

I tried to do an oil change on my 1999.5 TDI on the weekend, but I couldn't remove the black plastic cap where the oil filter goes. It said 25N-M on it, but I assumed this was the tightening torque, as the arrow pointed clockwise. I had to take it to a VW dealer the next day, and he had no trouble getting it off. Luckily I had all the oil and the filter, so it was only an additional $14.50 for this to be done (he also checked my fluids, runnings lights, and greased my door hinges and lubricated my locks for me... not bad for $14.50 I guess). My theory is that after a day of driving around, the cap had expanded into the metal filter surround, essentially becoming stuck. Maybe when they changed it all the parts were cold, and free to move.

But to make it clear for next time, is there a trick to get it off?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Joseph Meehan

Nope, never had a issue. Are you sure your are trying to remove the one ontop of the engine... and counterclockwise to remove.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Or, the last person made it too tight. I have never had that issue even with cars coming off the road and I immediately do the oil change.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I just did the first oil change on our 04 TDI, and it was a real bear to get the filter cap off with the strap wrench. On my 2002, I never had to do more than one turn with the wrench before it would turn by hand, but this one took three or four. And it hadn't been run in hours...

OTOH, the transmission drain plug was already leaking at 8,000 km. On the 2002 TDI, it held until the 16,000 km oil change. Not much of a leak, just a few square inches of sound baffle soiled, but it makes me antsy.... Happily, I still have the 17mm tool I made to tighten the plug on the 02, so I torqued it up to 25 ft-lbs.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

Rob,

You might try a 14 flute 76mm oil filter wrench.

AH

Reply to
Rob Guenther