Old diesel fuel

I had my 81 pickup parked for two years until I had a chance to repair a head gasket which I replaced last weekend (gas prices going up). After the repair the performance seems "sluggish" especially starting it up. I am thinking about working on the timing (replaced the fuel filter - fuel looked normal) but I think that maybe the fuel might be bad. Does anyone know the life of the fuel? Is it like gas which turns to varnish?

TY for your anticipated responses.

Bodhi

Reply to
Michael

Diesel fuel is subject to some of the same issues as gasoline with getting old. However it is a much smaller issue. However, it is subject to condensation (water) build up. I would guess this may be a bigger problem. In any case, I suggest you drain the water separator and run out the current tank and refill to see what happens. I might also suggest a diesel additive to increase the certane and absorb water. (don't use the stuff made for gasoline engines).

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have brought some diesels back to life after sitting for awhile. I have not had any issues with the old diesel fuel in them. But anything is possible!

Are you sure you timed the camshaft and injection pump properly? Are you pulling out that cable (advances the injection pump?) when you start it up? Any 'stranger than normal' exhaust color when driving it? :-)

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to