96 jetta starting problems

hey y'all i got a 96 jetta that does not want to start. it will turn over but will not fire. i have brought it to several mechanics who are stumped and i have messed with it to my extent....i have changed the spark plugs and wires , fuel pump and cannot see anything physically wrong with it...it used to drive fine and then one day it just quit in the middle of the road and hasnt ran since(about 6 months)...please help me...i love this car and want to fix it up...thanx matt

Reply to
mgurbisz

Where are you located? Try other mechanics! the engine needs:

  1. compression
  2. proper fuel
  3. proper spark

what is it NOT receiving? later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

As Dave said, it is one of three.

Compression (Has a compression check been done? Does it turn over briskly?)

Spark (Does it have spark? - Pull a plug ground it and see if it is sparking when turned over)

Fuel (Check procedure depends on fuel system.)

This is not all that difficult. One is not working.

BTW what is it recently with all the messages with out proper case (like "i" rather than "I") Have the computer companies started saving money by eliminating the shift key?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

i am located in crestview ,fl

Reply to
mgurbisz

what different kind of fuel systems are there and how would i go about doing a fuel system check.....i have a 2.0 liter fuel injected.

Reply to
mgurbisz

oh also how do you ground a spark plug......i am going to do the pressure test tomorrow to see.....do you know by any chance what it should be putting out as far as pressure

Reply to
mgurbisz

sorry for so many posts but yes it turns over fine just will not fire

Reply to
mgurbisz

You just ID'ed it. Hopefully someone will have the information you need for that.

As for the spark plug, just take out a plug, put the wire back on and with something well insulated, hold it against the engine block while someone cranks the engine in a darkened area, like a garage. You don't need blackout, but bright sun is not good. You should see a nice blue spark. You may want to check the rest of them if the first one look OK.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well you could listen for the injectors clicking while cranking the engine. A long screwdriver touching the injector and placed close to your ear will help if you don't have a stethoscope. Of course the injectors still might be clogged and not allow fuel past their nozzles. ;-) And you could hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel rail.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

i have done the compression test and all 4 cylinders are putting out about

210 psi....the haynes manual says they should be putting out about 109 psi...it says the cylinder head would be heavily carbon covered but im not exactly sure if thats what it would be....any ideas
Reply to
mgurbisz

also does anyone know where i could look to find either a new engine or a used one....

Reply to
mgurbisz

well it should start at least. lol Are you sure the compression gauge is accurate? might be some buildup in carbon inside of the cylinder, but you should be able to clean that up. hmmm well if the carbon is absorbing all of the fuel from the injectors before it reaches the combustion area, you may have to clean up the head and pistons before the engine can start........just an idea here!

Got to check the spark and fuel now! Were the spark plug electrodes wet?

dave

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

the spark plugs looked fine other than bein a little dirty...what would be the best way to get the carbon deposits out without takin the cylinder head off

Reply to
mgurbisz

Is that 109 figure correct? It sounds rather low to me, but whatever the engine is designed for.

If 109 is correct, then 200+ is way off the scale. If it has that much carbon build up, then I would suggest removing the heads to clean it up. With that much carbon, I don't think the water - chemical fixes are going to do it, besides they only work when you can start the engine.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I really doubt the carbon buildup is causing this engine not to start!

but AFAIK about the carbon removal first you need to determine if there really is an abnormal quantity of carbon buildup in the combustion area or cylinder head ports!

If you have too much, it is BEST to remove head and let the machine shop do their magic to it. I have seen one VW/Audi head (82 Audi 4000) with so much debris around the ports I was shocked that engine was still running. :-)

If you wish to try other methods like soaking/spraying chemicals on/in the areas that have the buildup..............DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Remember you have to or should remove the debris so it doesn't travel through the engine and exhaust possibly creating more damage. You might need to remove camshaft to insure all valves are closed. You might need a shop vac to vacuum out most debris, or maybe an air blower to blow out the debris. This method, at least to me, seems slow to do and possibly not fully effective in removing ALL debris inside. :-(

If you finally get this engine running then you have different methods of cleaning up the carbon, from additives in the fuel or water/chemicals you can slowly inject into the intake to running the fuel system off of some pressurized chemicals instead of gasoline. JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I think I've read through all the posts and you still haven't looked to see if there is a spark at the spark plug. If there isn't (and you've changed the cap and rotor), look at the ignition coil. Over time, they can develop hairline fractures and fail.

--Andy

Reply to
Andrew