outdrives and oil pressure quesions / and WTB

I drive an 82 VW pickup with FN fivespeed. I am in the process of replacing my CV joints. I noticed that I have a couple millimeters of play in the tranny outdrives. I had just rebuild that tranny about a year ago. I might have 20,000 on it at the most. I havent replaced the flanges. All bearings are new. What do you guys think of this? Question # 2: I have the oil pressure dummy light on 100% of time. I have installed a guage and it is from 30 to 80 psi depending on oil temp. What should I do to fix the dummy light? I would rather fix it than disconnect it. All info is greatly appreciated. I am also looking for an ashtray for my truck. I broke mine and dont know to fix it. It is very easy to remove. Thanks.

Reply to
Thater

I drive an 82 VW pickup with FN fivespeed. I am in the process of replacing my CV joints. I noticed that I have a couple millimeters of play in the tranny outdrives. I had just rebuild that tranny about a year ago. I might have 20,000 on it at the most. I havent replaced the flanges. All bearings are new. What do you guys think of this? Question # 2: I have the oil pressure dummy light on 100% of time. I have installed a guage and it is from 30 to 80 psi depending on oil temp. What should I do to fix the dummy light? I would rather fix it than disconnect it. All info is greatly appreciated. I am also looking for an ashtray for my truck. I broke mine and dont know to fix it. It is very easy to remove. Thanks.

Reply to
Thater

Bearings are shot :-) IMO, a couple mm play led to a complete tear-down within 2 years of a rebuild although YMMV. When compressing the flanges, did you really crank on them?

A1's use the driverside head and top of oil filter pressure switches, right? Maybe one's gummed up.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Define play. A few degrees of clock rotation, in/out, left/right which might be lateral. I replaced drive flanges that were sloppy on the output shafts.

My Bentley shows 2 switches for the 83-84. The one on the filter is no. If it is closed when the engine is off then replace. The one on the head is no. If it reads closed with engine off replace.

The Bentley shows 2 switches for the 82 and they are nc. Note that the switches >I drive an 82 VW pickup with FN fivespeed. I am in the process of

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning