Pinging on a Passat?

Today I definitely heard pinging on acceleration in 2nd and 3rd in my

95 Passat VR6. I've never heard that before. ( 120,000 miles, 5 speed, always cheaped out and used regular grade fuel)

Maybe it is a bad tank of gas, but the 1st 2/3 of the tank was OK, or maybe I just missed hearing it.

Any ideas or comments?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Switch to higher grade fuel and try puting some fuel cleaner in there for a few tank fills. probably just have some build up.

Reply to
blah

What blah said and take it on a good healthy highway drive for a few hours after you have added a good intake valve (upper engine) cleaner in the gas tank. AFAIK Deposits on the valves and surrounding areas can absorb fuel coming out of the injectors. Products at this site are supposed to be good. ;-)

dave

Friends with American cars with injection swear bu cleaners . Should they first be used after a problem like pinging occurs or should they also be used as a prevevtive measure? If so, when to start?

Reply to
tf

IMHO some vehicles are not "driven" like they should be driven. I believe that is the case for a lot of American cars that are used to get from home to the train or the mall and the engines never really maintain normal operating temperatures for more than 20 minutes or so. To be "driven" the vehicle should be on the highway going at least the speed limit for a few hours regularly not just twice a year. lol The worse vehicle I have seen was an 84 Audi 4000S that had a white hard crusty substance in the ports of the cylinder head surrounding the valves. I was shocked that the engine was still running at all! After the head took a trip to the machine shop,and was reinstalled, that engine was getting close to

40mpg, according to the owner.

I will say that that engine had substance abuse and required either a good long drive with chemicals in the fuel to help remove the substance slowly, or the quick more radical approach......which is what happened.

So if the vehicle is "abused" and not driven much then a chemical should be used regularly! If it is driven then probably the chemicals are not needed as much.

JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave