power steerring failure & square batter light on

Hello, Yesterday it was raining lightly when I parked my car. When I came back to my car and started it both the power steering failed and the battery light was on. The car is a 2000 jetta TDI. I checked fuses, but none seem bad. I think i checked power steering fluid level (center back of engine w/yellow cap) and it seems OK. I guess it could be the pump. Where is the pump located? Are there any relays of other fuses possibly involved. I check both the fuses on the battery (these don't look bad, although there is no clear window to check to see if they are bad, I'm not exactly sure what a bad one looks like) and the fuses in the car.

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
barry

IIRC this has an electric power steering pump on it.

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Not for a 2000 made in the USA!

Reply to
Woodchuck

That was the brake fluid you checked. The PS fluid is a green cap located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Since the alt and PS pump are driven by the same belt I would check it first.

Reply to
Woodchuck

driven by the same belt I would check it first.

If your PS isn't working and the battery light is on, you either have a broken (missing?) belt or one that is slipping a lot.

Reply to
Matt B.

Electrical PS pumps are only used on later models to my knowledge. VAG did start to use them from 1999/2000 with the Skoda Fabia and later the cars built on the same platform, the Audi A2 and VW Polo.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder