Question......HELP please

hey everyone, i borrowed my friends vw golf, i'm not sure of the exact year i think it's a 95. anyways, i accidentaly set off the factory alarm. i couldn't get it to turn off so i just disconnected the positive battery terminal b/c i woke up all my neighbors at 7am. i connected the battery back and got the alarm to not go off by turning the lock on the door........but now the car won't start! I try to turn the ignition and all i hear is a noise on the left hand side inside the car by the speaker on the dash, it sounds like a computer is registering. does anyone have any ideas, i searched google but couldn't find my answer. any help would save my day! thanks for any advice mike ps. the key that my friend has isn't the original factory one, it is a duplicate. could this be any reason why the ignition won't start

Reply to
abc

After 94 all golf's were fitted with immobiliser's, you've set off the immobiliser and unless you get the original key with the chip in the end your not going to start it. You'll have to get a mobile VW service van out to reprogramme the computer and your key. Which will cost loads, maybe toe it to the VW garage? Sorry to deliver the bad news.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
John

Reply to
John

My 96 golf is fitted with an immobiliser as standard its the European model i don't see why it would be different from US model. Check this site out for the spec's on the different golf's.

Joe

US and European Golfs are two very different things.

European Golfs had airbags as standard equipment from '94 on. The Golf didn't have a standard driver side airbag until 1998 in North America.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I see how its different from the US model. VW puts out their stuff 1-2 years earlier in UK than US.

Andrew

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Martin