Vag-Com and 1991 Passat (US 49-state version)

Is it possible to connect the Vag-Com to the 91 Passats with the 16 valve engine and read the engine information/faults. I have connected mine up but was only able to read the automatic transmission.

Any tricks that I need to do? Change baud rates or ??? thanks, dave

Reply to
Dave

you have to lower the baud rate, I forget to what, the early ecm is a lil....slow. Corey

Reply to
Tin Man

Thanks Tin Man. I tried 4800 and 1200, but still could not connect to the engine. I could still connect to the auto trans module though. Do you remember the "best" baud rate that worked for you?

I just bought a faster laptop (with the proper speed) and will try that too maybe tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I will be able to ask others on the vag-com list. I might even try to find another ECU or similar Passat to try it on. Might be my 91 Passat. :-( thanks and later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

nope I dont have any clue its been so long now, but had the same problem Corey

Reply to
Tin Man

Thanks Tin Man, I have also asked on the vag-com mailing list. I went through most of the wiring tests and really did not see much of a problem, at least I don't think I saw one. I am possibly thinking it might be a bad ECU. I will locate one from another Passat or A2 with a 16V engine to test my theory. Unless I can test one in a running Passat and then test mine in their car. lol

dave

I was finally able to connect to the engine module after setting baud rate to

4800 and saving it in the program. Then everything was turned off and then turned on in the proper sequence. Now I can start examining what the numbers mean. lol

thanks all!

dave