Re: CIS Injection

replies within

From: john hite snipped-for-privacy@texoma.net > > >I recently replaced the fuel distributor on my 87 Golf GL. Replacement >actually had exact same numbers, which I thought was going to be >impossible for a while but a list member had one! After installation the >car ran OK except a little cold natured. Over a period of two weeks the >idle speed started creeping up tho the throttle stop was still locked >down. I figured this was due to the fact that the car had not run for >several months and glazed fuel deposits were dissolving, etc. I backed >off the fuel stop to get the idle below 1K

I don't believe you are supposed to mess with the throttle stop, you have to adjust idle via the air adjustment screw. You also may have a vacuum leak causing problems with the idle. Your secondary thottle plate may be sticking open too and need lubrication. (Common Problem)

but now the car is extremely >cold natured. It is extremely hard to start and runs rougher than 2 cobs >until warm and then it is fine.

How rough is 2 cobs? 2 Roosters fighting? lol It sounds like you need to check fuel pressure when the engine is cold. Did you do a tune up with new plugs, distributor cap and distributor rotor, filters and such?

I am trying to get a handle on the >function of some of the CIS components however I have a Chilton's manual >but which is sorely lacking in detail. Hope someone can answer a few >questions until I am employed enough to purchase a Bentley manual.

Yes you need to either own or borrow a Bentley (library maybe?) Did you search on the internet to see if someone has a site with information on it that will help you?

>There is an electric fuel solenoid on the driver side of the distributor >that controls fuel flow from one side of the base to the other. It hums >sometimes as though being rapidly cycled. What is it's purpose? >

It will adjust the pressure inside of the fuel distributor. It is controlled by the ECU and is very dependent on the 02 sensor.

The CO plug is missing. Is this allowing unfiltered air into the intake? >

cover that hole with some plastic bag or duct tape

The cold start injector on the manifold downstream of the throttle >butterfly is electrically controlled. Is the control signal a variable >voltage or just full on/off? Is it controlled simply by a sensor or a >more sophisticated circuit? >

starter relays power to the cold start valve when it is operating and it grounds out through the cold start thermo valve when this thermo valve is cold. ON/OFF Some may have a hot start feature that allows this cold start valve to come on and aid in the starting of a hot engine too.

Lastly, there is an adjustment screw on the front side of the manifold >near where the throttle linkage connects. It is large and inviting to us >unknowledgeable folks as it even has large countersinks in the casting >around it to guide our misguided screwdrivers. Though it has repeatedly >tempted me I don't want to fiddle with it if I don't know it's function. >

AH HA, now you found the idle adjustment screw. :-)

dave

Thanks for the info Jim.

jh

snipped-for-privacy@m>The solenoid on the side of the fuel distributor is part of the Lambda

Reply to
john hite

Thanks for posting Dave. Regarding the throttle stop, oops. But I noted the amount of adjustment I made so I can put it back.

Never used an outhouse where they had a bucket of corn cobs for toilet paper, eh?

Replaced all the filters but didn't do the electric things but maybe should have as AM radio is unuseable when engine is running. Figured fuel pressure is OK as it runs just fine after about 45 seconds of warming up and the fact that I am manually starting the fuel pump with a underdash switch. BTW, the two rear fuel pumps are new.

None of the local libraries has a Bentley. Didn't look online. But I am all ears if anyone has a URL and will also look myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

No telling how old the sensor is, maybe a suspect.

It has been hot lately and if engine is shutdown for more than 10 minutes it is a bit hard to start even tho temp gauge is still reading plenty warm. So perhaps it is not the cold start thermo. But just for reference where would one find this thermo? Will check for voltage at the cold start valve.

Well even us blind squirrels find a nut every now and then. :^)

Thanks again,

jh

Reply to
john hite

It sounds like you have a few other things happening than the idle going up. more replies within.

Did you make sure that both throttle plates move easily and return to their proper resting place?

No leaves would work for me if I need them. :-)

Making sure that you try to eliminate the "simple" stuff helps to find the problem. I have seen bad distributor rotors that still look good. 8^)

Yes it might be.

IIRC It will be on one of the coolant pipes coming out of the cylinder head. later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

you can't get a new o-ring from the dealer? mine has been backing out a lot lately :( but i have bigger issues now... see my post about my alt. please:'(

Reply to
VWGirl

Some folks get a new screw that comes with a new o-ring.

Check all grounds. >you can't get a new o-ring from the dealer? mine has been backing out a lot

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning