Re: Woodchuck- now what?

Back to the cruise control diagnosis. I checked pin one for power and there

>was none. I back traced the wire for pin one on the cruise control module >and found there was no power going to the control unit. I took power from an >unused connector and powered up the wire. Now everything checks out, the >switch works, vaccum switches on the brake pedal and even the air pump. When >I drive and try and set the cruise control nothing happens. Yet if I ground >pin 7 to power the pump and squeeze the vacuum hose that routes from the >bottom of the pump to the top it pulls in the cruise control servo. What am >I missing here? Everything checks out.

It sounds to me like you found a bad control unit but I am not the "ground hog" man so... :-) At least you are showing that the vacuum pump. CC servo is working. Remember the CC does not engage below ~35 MPH. This is a PITA because you can't get real time diags out of it sitting still. JMO. I have fixed my CC twice in 6 years and it has been inoperative for 3 years now. That said, I'm currently fixing up my newly bought second vehicle, a Jeep YJ Sahara Wrangler. Now this vehicle feels more like a VW (the old bug) the way it's designed, so simple and the body parts are modular except for the tub. Less parts = more fun. So my new found hobby and the people are friendly too. The Jeep wave from all the Wranglers reminds me of my old motorcycle days... I am going off on a tangent. Good luck with the CC. I think I might diag mine again, maybe. I just hate the clapped up German design. :-( I've been have real good experiences fixing up the Jeep and I even repaired my garage door opener which had been broken for 6 months. :) I'm on a roll...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Do you have the wiring diagram you could send me? If it's an auto trans some had to have the wheels rotating about 15mph before power would be applied to the CC. That the car for a short ride and check your voltages, but don't turn off the key.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'll try and scan it tomorrw. It's actually quite simple really I have checked all wires going to the module for power when it should light the test light and they all work. The only thing that wasn't within spec was the resistance from the speed sensor on the back of the dash. It called for something like 120 ohms but I didn't get a reading from it.

Reply to
Brad