Seeking tips for torqueing 12mm head bolts (1.6 diesel)

I have read the procedure for tightening the 12mm stretch to yield head bolts in the Haynes and Bentley manuals. Both give a base torque, the instruct that an additional turn of 180 be given to the bolts. Man, I could manage a 90, but not 180. I'm used to head bolt torques of 105-120 on US V8s, but trying for that 180 felt like I was gonna twist the bolt off.

How do you folks do this? Was I too cautious?

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

these were new stretch bolts, slightly oiled going into to clean threaded holes?

now you are turning them an additional 180 degrees (1/2 of a complete turn of the bolt)...................not 180 ftlbs? You might feel them stretch too! 8^) Had to ask that!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes.

Good one!

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

I seem to remember the manual saying to torque, run X miles, then do a quarter turn.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Reply to
none2u