Should I buy a junked 92 1.8L 8v GTI?

I've been eyeing this black GTI for a few months now at this small car graveyard of sorts. Body's in great shape, it's got the cool round headlights, needs minor things like new rear windshield wiper, lug cover on one teardrop wheel, a good cleaning etc. Interior's excellent except for where it looks like someone tried to hot wire it. I got in touch with the owner and he said it was overheating and he'd consider an offer. The guy that runs the yard said it needed either a new head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block and he couldn't tell which unless you pull the engine (which I have trouble believing). I'm hoping for a bad gasket. I currently drive an a3 2.0l and have admired a2's for a while now. My question is, should I resurrect this baby? If so, how much should I offer?

Thanks, Chad

Reply to
Chad

$100 US if it drives...

Who knows if they already used it for parts...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Too bad it was a 16V, that would be the ultimate find.

Reply to
Mustangbrad