spark plugs

I have a 2000 jetta gls 2.0L with 40,000 miles. I would like to change the spark plugs and would like to get a recommendation on which plugs to get. I have read that ngk spark plugs are good, but there are several types and I would like to get the ones that are as close to OE as possible. What about bosch platinums?

NGK makes a 3-electrode platinum plug that I had been using that is very nice, just get the cross-referenced part number. Bosch from what I understand dropped the 3-electrode plug, and just have 2 and single electrode plugs anymore. I just replaced the plugs in my 85 1.8L GTI with the new Bosch as none of the places I checked around my area had the NGKs in stock

Reply to
Biz

I would stick with the Bosch. Part of the reason I would do so has to do with several experiences I had many years ago starting with my '65 Sunbeam Imp and '70 Bug. At least at that time the threads were cut slightly different and getting them back out when due for a change was not always easy, to say the least. Using the manufacturer's (or at least plugs from the same country) made it a lot easier. This is less likely to be a problem today, but then I have a TDI so I don't need to worry. ;-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Go with Bosch or NGK, and stay away from platinum's unless you car requires them from VW. Some of Vw's plugs are NGK's.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The 4-tip Bosch platinums did nothing for me in my '91 GTI but it seems to love the 2-tip ones. I noticed a smidge of better power and mileage with them. Otherwise, a spark plug change never really made any noticeable effect on my car.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yep. I use Bosch coppers for 99 cents at Autozone and replace them every

20000 miles. I'm not a long term sparkplug fan.
Reply to
Peter Parker

What's the part number for the 2-tip plugs?

The VW Sparkplugs that I run in my '90 Jetta are so freakin' expensive....I would prefer to go with the Bosch 2-tip ones for a change...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

expensive....I

Any parts place that carries the Bosch line should have the ones specifically for your 90 Jetta. They may not be exactly the same ones as teh 91's if they changed heat ranges etc....My 85 GTI has 10:1 compression ratio, so I doubt they are even close, plus I assume due to heat and compression Plat's are always recommended for it. Plus teh Bosch platinum

2' carry a money back guarentee, if tehy don't equal or surpass the perfomance of your last plugs they'll buy you a set of your original plugs...or something like that
Reply to
Biz

Guarantees for parts like sparkplugs (A wear item) are usually associated as "Snake Oil" or "Sucker Bait" mumbo jumbo to by the product.

I never had a problem with the basic Bosch coppers and even after 20000 miles they did not look worn. I can buy a lot of Bosch coppers for the price of one platinum product knowing the sparkplug is new.

BTW, did they platinum plugs back in 1985? :-)

HEY NOW!!!!

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker

So, how would one prove that "money back guarentee" statement? My 2 cents, you replace an old plug with a new one... it's going to run better for awhile! That's why people involved in racing always replace their plug after every race.

Reply to
Woodchuck