Remote-Control Key for 2001 Jetta

I suspect the battery in my Jetta's remote control key is getting weak. It loses its memory now and then. And the car does not acknowledge a secured state with a beep, though the light do blink. The Manual suggests I take it to a VW dealer to replace the battery for me. How complicated a job it is that I cannot do such a small job myself? I don't dare to force the case open for fear of breaking it.

Help Please! Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel

Ridiculous. It's easy to replace the key fob battery.

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

Thanks for your reassurance. Is there something I should know before I start gouging at the seams. Do I need a special tool, or maybe knife ?

Thanks

Reply to
Emanuel

It depends on the FOB style. As a 2001 you probably have a rectangular FOB with the switch-blade style key. There have been two models of those, and I don't know when the transition took place. The older one has soft, rubbery buttons and is made from a smooth plastic. The "notch" for separating the halves is on the back. You just put a narrow screwdriver in the notch at an angle and turn.

The newer style rectangular FOB is made of a harder, more scratch- resistant and textured plastic and the buttons have a soft plastic/hard rubber feel. The notch is on the inside of where the key rests when it's folded up. Put the tip of a narrow, flat screwdriver in the notch and turn.

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

Oh...on both style FOBs, once you get the halves apart, the battery half separates easily. Just get your fingernails between the seems and pull. The chamber where the key rests (when folded up) makes a good place to pull it apart.

Be gentle. Don't use a knife.

Cheers,

-+JLS

Reply to
Seagull

Thanks. I managed to change the cell without damaging it. My FOB is rectangular and of hard plastic. The notch is in the middle of the back seam. A small flat screwdriver inserted at 45 deg angle in the direction toward the key should enter the seam effortlessly to lift the notch a little and separate the two halves. If the point of the screwdriver is not too far into the seam, lever if up a little to lift the notch and at the same time separating the two halves away from each other.

I didn't know this much at that time. So I inserted a 1/4 inch flat screwdriver into the seam inside the key haven and twisted it gently. I worked fine, too.

So Thanks aga> > Thanks for your reassurance. Is there something I should know before I start

Reply to
Emanuel