Mysterious bushing eating starter

I pulled the starter out of my Bug yesterday and noticed brass flakes all over teh face of the starter. So, using an old bushing puller I had from 10 years back or so, I pulled the bushing. The face of the bushing was scarred up, like it had been hit with a router. I then looked at the starter and notices the small ring that mates with the bushing was as sharp as a knife with a distinct rim ground into the face of it. I'm not sure if the bushing damaged the starter or if the starter damaged the bushing, but to be safe I replaced both. The starter was 10 years old (but only had 12k miles on it if that) and the bushing is only three months old. Its a 6volt to 12 volt adapter bushing btw. Anyone ever experience such a phenomanah? What would cause the starter to eat up the face of the bushing?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

the autostick starter fixes the issue... unfortuantely it's 2.5x the price... I'd also know an answer to this.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead