transmission!

I have a 2001 VW golf tdi. After 80000 mi I wonder if the transmission fluid should be replaced.

How?

Can this car run 500000 miles with the original fillup. The Bently manual says nothing regarding this!

Reply to
Rochester

VW likes to claim that their ATF is lifetime in some later models but those of us with Eurovans (in which the AT tends to be unreliable) change it every

40K. Even VW has come around to that idea (my service manual says every 40K but my dealer said "Nah every 100K is fine" and for most other VWs it doesn't say at all).

In a Golf, unless it gives some maintenance interval in your maintenance manual, I'd say every 60K or 80K would be good, definitely every 100K for sure.

Reply to
Matt B.

Can't hurt... cheap insurance!

Reply to
Lost In Space

Actually it CAN hurt.... if the transmission is getting 'loose' and sometimes slips a bit changing gears, changing the oil can make it worse.

Changing it before somethings wrong or when the problems is a sticky valve (transmission refuses to shift or to go into 'D' or 'R" from 'N' or 'P') then a fluid change normaly makes it better.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

That only happens to Camaros... :-) Actually the above is an old wives tale and due to the fact that the oil change is not going to fix anything since it's already damaged...

It's either one or the other...

Reply to
Peter Parker