Whos left on here whos an ardent VW driver.

I'm surprised Usenet is still here. AOL and some others dropped it. So I'm starting this off by trying to see who's left on here. none2 you, (fake name) Old VW fanatic, Second car was a rusty bug with no heat. Owned a bunch of A2 Golfs , 1 Rabbit, A truck diesel , A vanagon diesel that I blew to smithereens . All mostly diesels. Everything used or rusty to some extent. Turned of completely by VW series three through five , and VWs corporate and dealer shenanigans. I'm giving them plenty of slack on the New VWs because feedback has been good so far. But not the Corporate plans , or dealer tactics which still suck. I'm down to one 86 VW Golf diesel now . I sold the bug in the garage that was buried last summer.

Reply to
none2u
dave AKA vwdoc1

'64 or 65 Beetle (don't recall which)

Later converted to 12V when I installed the engine from a mid-70's beetle that had been in a front end collision.

'67 Beetle

'75 Rabbit. I had one of the first couple of thousand imported.

'75 Rabbit (yeah, another one)

'84 8V Scirocco

'87 16V Scirocco (high mileage, lousy body, quick)

'87 16V Scirocco (low mileage, great body, not as quick)

I still have the last two.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Matt B, aka gti_matt on vwvortex.com...present!

Been driving VWs since 1991 and fairly monogamous.

1991-2007 drove a 1991 Mk2 GTI as my daily. 2002-present drive a 2000 Eurovan as a second weekend-errand and road-trip mobile which became my daily after I sold the GTI

That's it.

Next car (hopefully this year) may not be a VW...considering used R171-body Merc SLKs.

If I wasn't so hot on the SLK it'd probably be a 5-door Mk5 GTI or Rabbit though.

Reply to
Matt B.

'65 Beetle for my first car. '83 GTI for my first "new" car which I drove 'til 2001 (314,000 miles). '01 Jetta TDI as my current daily driver (my second "new" car). And a '72 Super Beetle in a million pieces in my garage (that will someday ride the roads again - after I retire and have the time to rebuild it - it's only been in my garage for 24 years).

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Me :-)

had a old white beetle 70 1200, and a golf 1987. also 3 years ago a 1L polo Ereg, and another one now as my current ride :-)

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

'61 Beetle when I got married. '75 Rabbit until it died. '90 Golf Diesel for 3 1/2 years (almost new). Currently '06 Jetta TDI bought new June '07 (thank heavens for the heated seats!)

Stuart H.

Alberta, Canada

Reply to
Stuart H.

What's AOL?

I'm here... But I don't count usually!

Reply to
PeterD

I'm still mostly lurking, have had at various times:

'84 Rabbit GTI '84 Scirocco '89 GTI 16V '02 GTI 1.8T

also my mom had an '86 Golf which she just sold last year after driving it as her primary car up until shortly before then.

don't actually own any VWs at the moment because the 1.8T was replaced with an '88 Porsche 944 when my previous employer decided to make my position salaried and suddenly I was having a hard time making the payments. (there's a reason they're my previous employer.) I still have the 944, but my fiancee has an '89 Corrado G60 which is sadly disassembled in my garage.

I loved the torque of the 1.8T but I think if I were to get another VW it would probably be an early Scirocco. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a decent one for sale, and am not motivated enough to start searching outside my local area.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Well... more-or-less we have never been without a VW in the family for the last 25 years or so. 36 if my pre-married days are counted. But, we have not had a VW as the primary driver for now nearly 20 years. That interval was served by various "kids' cars" and Campers. As of now, we have the Eurovan camper, a wonderful vehicle for what it does and our needs. But it is quite unlikely that we will ever have another VW as the primary. Example: The last two vehicles we purchased (other than the Eurovan): my wife's 2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon, 30 months ago:

18,000 miles on it, $18,000 price. In those 30 months and 30,000 miles, nothing other than tires and maintenance. The alternatives at the time were a Passat wagon that had similar mileage but was a 2003, or a C320 Mercedes AWD wagon also with similar mileage and a 2002. The Saab was $15,000 cheaper and did not want premium fuel as did the other two.

Or my 2005 Volvo XC70 purchased 20 months (and 45,000 miles) ago with

19,000 miles on it - also needing nothing except tires and maintenance. Price then was $24,900. The alternatives were a Passat wagon 4motion, a Tuareg, a Volvo V70AWD and a Mercedes E320 AWD sedan... again, all but the XC70 demanding premium fuel and a good deal more money.

We typically keep vehicles to well over 200,000 miles - and I have to "go" in all kinds of conditions without fail. The Passat wagon just did not have the weight and feel of the Volvo, nor the same level of safety features (even though the Volvo drives like a truck as far as turning radius is concerned). The Mercedes did not have the ground- clearance (yes, the Volvo goes well off paved roads many times each year), and the Tuareg was an obscenity when it came to gas mileage - more-so when the premium requirement was factored in.

So, VWs for me will continue to be either a niche item (the camper) or a means to nostalgia. I do not see them being able to overcome so many years of wretched quality and (relatively) high prices *and* poor fuel economy anytime soon. If a diesel should ever join the fold in the future, it will be a Mercedes. But I suspect a hybrid/alternate will intrude first given how long we keep vehicles and the advances in related technology.

Sorry for the rant.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

"none2u" schreef in bericht news:R9udnQGTxo-VXBvanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net...

'77 scirocco G60 turbo very fast, too many mods to mention.... '89 golf manhattan, daily driver indestructable, forgets to rust, '72 beetle, never let me down, unbelievable strong engine (sold)

SFC

Reply to
SFC
1973 SB 1973 Vert 1972 Camper 1979 Vert 2002 NB 2004 Passat

And I'm done. I will never buy another VW again. I have sold all of the others. I love my Passat but VW corporate and customer service sucks, as well as their service policies. My Onstar system is still under warranty and will soon become disabled. VW will do nothing about it. Going to buy a Prius very soon.

David

Reply to
D&LBusch

2003 Jetta 1.8T, bought new, currently with 90k 1989 Cabriolet, which I've owned for just over two years now, currently with 150k

The Jetta has been great. The dealer has been pretty good to work with, and I can't complain about the service (which apparently makes me in limited company). The Cabriolet can be a bit finicky at times, but I guess that's to be expected. It's still a joy to drive and I'm looking forward to the spring/summer again.

I would consider getting rid of both and getting an Eos, except VW has decided to not offer the manual transmission with well-equipped cars. Want a regular manual with leather or steering wheel audio controls? Nope, can't have it. (My Jetta is manual with leather, Monsoon audio, and steering wheel controls.) I suppose I could be convinced to go with the DSG with paddle shifters, but the paddle shifters are only available on the V6, which is priced a bit out of my range at around $39k.

So I suppose I'll keep motoring with what I have for now. I like both cars, and see no reason to get rid of them just yet...

-Corey

Reply to
Corey

Still into VWs. Couple of old beetles, one stock, one not. Eurovan for years and years (the most optimistic car on the planet: Shape of a bread box, 109hp, 5cyl, 140mph speedo) Beck spyder with VW running gear, including 2110cc engine '07 Passat 2.0T with 6-spd auto-manual tranny, for wife (she likes the size and pep)

Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

Let's see........

60 Bug sedan 62 Bug cabriolet 67 Bug sedan 68 Kombi Camper 69 Karmann Ghia coupe 70 Bug sedan 73 Bug sedan 78 Rabbit 83 Rabbit S 87 Golf 92 Passat GL (bought for daughter) 92 Passat GL (bought for son) 92 Passat Estate 93 Passat GLX 98 Passat 1.8 99 Passat 1.8 Estate

and also

60 Ford Galaxie Town Victoria (4dr hardtop version) 75 Dodge MaxiVan (camper conversion) 91 Hyundai Sonata GLS 93 Oldsmobile 98 Touring Sedan

so mostly VWs for the last few years

Ed

Reply to
Ed Regal
1977 Audi Fox, 4 door, Mars Red, (16 years) 1986 VW Gti, black (10 years) 2007 VW City Golf, 4 door, black (4 months and counting)
Reply to
WT

My take as a long time VW family member is that this company has quite a history. Nonetheless, it was for the people and should remain that way. The designed look changed but the base watercooled hardware stayed pretty much the same while the vehicle got heavier. Things had to be upgraded, reengineered and designed in order to take the punishment. Some things never changed and therefore I believe were weaknesses in the hardware. The infamous self-machining manual transmission comes to mind. Why don't they put in bolt kits when they build it instead of rivets?

I like my III series which is still not as heavy as current models and still drives more like a II series. I never owned a I series but have been in quite a few. Yes, they are rail cars to say the least. The best in weight and power at that time.

The new heavy VWs are nice looking but they are not your DYIer machine. You would need a decent professional lift since a regular floor jack would probably damage the car in the long run. The old rabbits and type II golfs were great DYI vehicles and easy to jack.

Oil might hit US $200 a barrel this year, so those hybrids are looking better and better. VW designed a 1 liter diesel that was like a 150MPG tandem two seater but it's not viable on the streets here. Besides it was just a prototype.

Now there are possible 150MPG vehicles recently in the news on Yahoo at least.

VW corporate. LOL! IIRC there was some secret scandals of top management going on sex tours etc or was that another German company? Siemens comes to mind? Even old guys need to get laid. VW corporate washes their hands from any consumer issues. That sucks IMO. They don't even know they are getting fleeced by their dealerships when it comes to service and recall stuff. Idiots.

Enough ranting for now.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I got a job as a P/A tech in 1981, quit turning wrenches (for Hire) in

2005? during that time I owned: 1979 VW Scirocco S 1984 Audi 5000S 1985 Audi 5000S 1984 Porsche 944 1987 Audi 5000CS quattro 1987 VW Jetta GL 1988 VW Scirocco 16V

I still have the last 3, the jetta odometer broke at 325k+ previous owner told me, never fixed that, must have 500K? daily driver!! The turbo quattro i need to fix the broken exhaust studs (pain!!) The 'rocco is under restoration in my garage. I plan to keep them and not buy another car again unless I find a german 1992 Jetta? Cheers!!

Reply to
Regal953