Whump whump whump whump whump

That's what I hear when I take a gradual turn (either direction) at around

30-40 mph in my 2003 Passat 4motion. It is definitely coming from the front wheel area and you can feel it through the floor. Someone said it could be dirt in the universal joint. Any ideas?
Reply to
dogwud

It could also be a bad tire. A buddy recently had an internal belt delamination in one of his tires and it caused a similar noise and a strong vibration. You could do a tire rotation and see if the noise moves with the tire.

OTOH, a bad CV could have a noise like that, although it would be a bit surprising in such a new car. The joints are protected by rubber boots, which do fail with age. Only then is the joint exposed to the elements to pick up water and grit.

For two data points: I have a 94 Passat with original CVs and boots in fine shape after 98k miles, a friend with a 99 Passat had to have a boot changed on one axle recently.

Without additional info, and seeing how the car is rather young, I would start with the tire hypothesis first.

DLG

Reply to
DLGlos

I thought tires at first, but just bought four new ones and it the noise is still there. IF it is the CV joint, how serious is it and how quickly does this need to be attended to?

Reply to
dogwud

A CV joint may go a while, but when it fails, you no longer have the engine connected to the wheels. That is usually an inconvenience and on the freeway it can be dangerous.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

i would guess:

  1. tyre deformed
  2. CV joint dying
  3. wheel bearing screwed. seen this on a few audis, there's no play in the bearing, but it gets noisy on turns.
Reply to
Nathan Lucas