windshield wipers A2 jetta

So here is the scenario

I talked my mom into purchasing a a cherry condition 1987 jetta wolfburg. In short it had a couple of issues that I told her I would fix. Most of those I have but I have never run into this one. The wipers only work on one speed...High which seems slower that normal, and they don't park themselves when you shut them off unless you time it just right. In trying to fix this I replaced the wiper switch on the column...no difference. I then traced the circuit for loose connection and found none as perhaps over the years something was repaired. I then switched out the wiper motor and relay out of my golf (as I know they work) and still no change. They were matching part numbers. I was thinking of a bad ground next but where would I start, and is there possibly another avenue to go next?

As I've said before I dont have a Bently for that (and perhaps I should get one) but I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing.

Any suggestions would help Thanks

Tristen

86 golf 88 westfalia
Reply to
Tristen S

Check the wiper relays... Ours kept getting flooded with water and the wipers would spontaneously activate, or the speed settings would do nothing, occasionally the rear wiper (which is intermittent only) would operate at a full wiper speed... Getting a replacement relay, sealing it with silicon (you don't need to do this unless your electrical box is getting flooded) fixed the problem. I believe there is only one relay for the wipers, as we only replaced one... but it's quite possible there is a 2nd, as you could "feel" another one activating.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Thanks for the input rob but no floods here and I did already try the relay. Was I on the right track with the ground wires or should I be looking for a little green guy under the dash chewing wires ???

Thanks in advance Tristen

Reply to
Tristen S