Would anyone recommend a K&N filter in a TDI?

Hello Everyone,

I have to change the rather brown air filter in my 1999 Golf TDI, as I think it is almost a year old (stamped Aug2002 on it... but I have only had the car since march 2003 so I don't know when it was put in, I know the car had regular service tho).

My father can get a good price through a connection on those K&N filters, he wants to get one since you can just wash them, and keep using it over and over...

My question, is it worth the price for one, or are the cheap VW filters that I buy every year fine. I put on maybe 20-30K Kms a year, and I push the car pretty hard.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

IMHO, the K&N filter is more hype than fact. There are 2 ways you can increase air flow of a filter.... have a bigger filter, or have bigger holes in the fitler. Since you wouldn't be putting in a bigger air box.......

Reply to
Pencilneck

Best reason for buying a K&N is that they're washable - so you will never have to buy another filter again.

Works out to be a significant saving if you do lot of miles / kilometers a years.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

I would not use one.

Little or difference. Very little gain in power, maybe even a little loss, no gain in mileage. While there is some evidence of possible engine damage, I also believe that is also very small and unlikely. Check out:

In short, don't bother

Reply to
Joseph Meehan