94 chevy 4x4 loses power

my chevy loses power when towing our boat. 1 and 2 gear have plenty of power but 3 nad over drive it revs high but not alot of speed. what is going on? I was told it could be a plugged cataltic converter?

it could be a plugged fuel filter to

thank you for that idea, I will change them asap.
thanks for the info. I am running 35inch tires.
"steelersfan" wrote:

35 with stock gears, it has to suck at speed. I would say at leat a 4.56 here. Do not let the numbers scare you as with those tires and OD it will be very tame cruising.
if your engine rpm's go high in 3rd gear and 4th gear but the vehicle does not gain speed the trans is slipping under load the trans should be a 4L60E and is known for burning the 3-4 clutches and the o/d band.besides the fact if you are towing with this vehicle DO NOT tow with overdrive on....

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-94-chevy-4x4-loses-power-ftopict122844.h tml
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p `1106
"djmcreynolds1" wrote: > if your engine rpm's go high in 3rd gear and 4th gear but the > vehicle does > not gain speed the trans is slipping under load the trans > should be a 4L60E > and is known for burning the 3-4 clutches and the o/d > band.besides the fact > if you are towing with this vehicle DO NOT tow with overdrive > on....
> > > "steelersfan" wrote: > &nbsp;> >thanks for the info. I am running 35inch tires. > > > > 35 with stock gears, it has to suck at speed. I would say at > leat a > > 4.56 here. Do not let the numbers scare you as with those > tires and OD > > it will be very tame cruising. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-94-chevy-4x4-loses-power-ftopict122844.h > tml > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p `1106
I doubt it is slipping, I think it is just never locking up converter and working hard on converter to move load. If it was infact slipping it would have toasted long ago because it cannot slip hard for very long before it will fail. One good trip towing and slipping would toast it.