Colorado Bed Second Layer

What length 2x6 do I need to cut for the second level bed in my 2006 Colorado truck bed ?? I cut one 60" and it fit toward the tailgate, but the front one needs a shorter board!! There are no 'real' holds for the
wood to set in, it has to sit on a curve of the sheet metal! How can Chevy screw this simple thing up?