Ghost driver

I read a post earlier about wandering steering, and my problem is similar sometimes (Like tonight) i start to drive and suddenly the front wheels jerk to the left then to the right over and over .It
almost feels like i'm driving on very slippery ice, and needless to say the drive home is very nerve wracking. A couple of months ago i had the pitman arm, and the tie rod ends replaced , and the problem seemed to lessen however now its back. My truck is a 1979 surburban 1500 with 4 wheel drive, and a 350in engine. A local midas mechanic who replaced the front end parts stated (After i told him the sterring still wandered) that he had an older chevy 4 by 4 similar to mine , and the locking hubs would "Back out" putting the truck unintentionaly into 4 wheel drive and the truck would swerve suddenly like mine. I'm stumpted (And afraid to drive my truck in traffic) any thoughts???... snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
Check all tie rods, check the steering box for wear, check input shaft for a bad rag joint, check toe, check tire wear.
Hd a similar problem with my Jeep. Turned out to be worn balljoints coupled with massively off toe.
The hub issue is possible, I suppose, but doesn't really make sense to me.
Thanks for the input i'll check those things snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 02:49:17 -0400,

Take a really good look at the steering damper.(looks like a shock mounted horizontally from tie rod to axle.) Disconnect one end and see if it feels like a shock.If not,that is most likely the problem. Ed
I disagree. While a damper will mask the symptoms, the damper alone is not the problem.

problem.~~~~~~.Ed
You might also want to check the idler arm. Mine ( '92 s-10 Blazer ) had that problem until I had it replaced.
Rich
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once"