Key Code???

Hi,
According to the manual my 2005 RSX's keys have a key code. Does this mean there are some electronics or magnetics inside the key? Replacing one of the keys for my wife's Lexus was a
pain in the neck. I thought those simple looking RSX keys meant a trip to Sears for a spare. Not true?
I bought the car used and got only a piece of paper with what looks like the radio code. Nothing specific about keys.
Thanks, Gary

it has a passive RFID chip inside,that gets scanned by a reader near the ignition switch,that matches a code stored inside the fuel injection computer(ECU).it's a hopping code;not the same each time. That way,you [and thieves!] cannot start the engine without the right key,or by replacing the entire ECU.
The RFID chip has an antenna and is energized by the scanner's interrogating RF field[your key needs no batteries],then transmits it's code to the scanner.That gets compared to what's in the ECU. A match allows your car to start.

It beats having your RSX stolen like my Integra GS-R was June 29th,despite an alarm with starter disable.

the dealer can use your auto's VIN to get the correct key code.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik