OT ? about battery

The terminal on my battery is too small. When I tighten the connection as far as it will clamp, I can remove it with finger pressure. What can I use to "beef up" the diameter of the terminal so
I can clamp the connection tight?
I went to 2 local auto part jobbers & they tried to sell me a new connector. It is OK so I am not about to replace it & it looks like it is also too large.
Thanks.

If I recall correctly, the battery terminals and cable connectors are made with a high lead content material. It tends to resist corrosion and is soft to form a tight fit.
If you can find some thin lead sheet material (at a plumbing supply store, Ace Hardware, etc.) cut it in a strip about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide.
Wrap this around the battery until the cable connector barely will fit. Be sure to open the connector as far as it will go, first. Then tighten and see of that will hold.
If the lead sheet is too thick, flatten it to make it thinner, with a hammer and something solid, on a workbench or other firm surface.. You're trying to make a custom fitting "shim".
Good luck.

Cut a long strip of aluminum foil (Reynolds Wrap, etc). Wrap around terminal to build up thickness and then install cable. Spray with some sort of grease to keep corrosion at bay, and be careful not to overtighten!
Next time buy the correct battery.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Look closely. Unless the connector is brand new (did this looseness develop or did it come from a new battery or clamp?) I suspect you will see it is actually cracked. Eventually it will break entirely if you are persistent, but in the meantime it will just seem loose.
I am not a fan of the connectors that clamp on the existing cable; they are too prone to corrosion there. I prefer to measure the cables and replace both with new ones. Of course, OEM is the best way but you will probably have to wait while the cables are ordered.
Mike
Thanks guys, the connection is now tight. I used a few wrappings of AL foil. Did the trick. BTW, the battery# was reommended by the battery mfg for this model auto but obviously the termnal is a tad too small dia.
All is OK!!!! MrMusic
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:21:42 -0700, "Michael Pardee"