Plugging a tire

Page 1 of 2
I have a screw in my tire. I have been told that the tire cannot be repaired because the hole is so close to the sidewall. It's about 3/4 of an inch from the side, right after the first row of thread. I would
appreciate your opinion / advice.
Cheers!
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:15:06 -0500, Venture Rider wrote:

Why would you take a chance?
Can you not afford a new tire?
--
Dan.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:27:59 -0500, Dean Dark said:

I paid $175 for this tire, and I barely have 5000km on it. It would be a shame to throw it out.
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:40:25 -0500, Venture Rider wrote:

Go ahead then. Get it plugged. Drive fast and hard on it.
It beats the crap out of me why anyone would ask a question like this.
Don't you *want* to be confident that your tires are going to maintain their integrity while you're speeding along and maybe hitting the inevitable little pothole or two?
Sheesh. Get over it. Buy a new tire.
--
Dan.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:59:33 -0500, Dean Dark said:

LOL! What a jerk!
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
I think he's trying to tell you that your life and that of your family should be worth more than $175. You CAN'T trust the plugged tire!!
<Venture Rider> wrote in message

Venture Rider wrote in

It seems to me that if the puncture is within the TREAD(3/4" in from edge of tread seems OK to me) that the tire is patchable.
Find another shop.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm no expert on this, but I also suspect that 3/4 inch into the tread is patchable. A second opinion makes sense. If they agree, then it's time to bite the bullet.
Mike
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 05:10:04 -0700, Michael Pardee said:

Thanks for the advice. My regular shop should be opened today. I will go see them.
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:00:59 GMT, New_TL_Owner said:

Goodyear fixed my tire for $10.
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:17:11 GMT, Bill Garfield said:

And I assume you have had no problems with the plugged tires?
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
writes:

In both cases it was a roofing nail picked up in the main body of the tread. Nothing in or near the sidewall. Discount Tire also doesn't use the conventional "plug" method. Rather their procedure is a complete dismount/breakdown and proper internal patch followed by remounting and rebalancing.
I did destroy a sidewall about 25 years ago on a Corvette. It was an OEM tire and so not covered by any warranty. Therafter I've always opted for the Road Hazard protection when buying new tires. A crap-shoot, sure and you're unlikely to ever need it, like an extended warranty except comparatively much cheaper and a small price to pay for the extra protection and peace of mind.
Don't misunderstand. I do not believe in extended warranties on my cars. Without exception they're all a bad investment, very expensive, most have a per-incident deductible, most are rife with weasel clauses and your chances of just breaking even with the policy's high up-front cost is historically slim. There is also a huge profit margin in them for the selling dealer, typically 50%.
<Venture Rider> wrote in message Venture Rider

Before we became loyal Discount Tire customers we went to Cobre Tire in Phoenix. They patched and repatched a tire we had maybe four times before they got the patch to stay on. Hmm. Discount Tire never had that problem with any of the punctures we took there.
In the last year or so the local Discount Tire has plugged the holes, and I can do that. I've plugged maybe a half dozen holes over the years, mostly in the boondocks or early in the morning when I wanted to get to work, and never had a problem.
Mike
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:00:59 GMT, New_TL_Owner said:

Tire manufactures stopped offering the warranty in January 2005. So unless the dealer is offering it, you SOOL.
--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:18:30 GMT, Bill Garfield said:

It so happens my Goodyear dealer is offering it as well. His own initiative.
--

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 05:56:19 -0700, Michael Pardee said:

--
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds
that I don't know the answer."
On 12/26/05 6:59 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

This is silly. There is no risk to patching a tire with a screw in the tread area. Especially one this new. It's dangerous if the puncture is in the sidewall, but not an inch into the tread. You must be made of money.
On 12/26/05 5:15 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Venture Rider" <Venture Rider> wrote:

That should be repairable. If the sidewall is damaged, they usually don't try to fix them, but punctures in the tread are usually OK to repair. How much tread does it have remaining?
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:20:24 GMT, E Meyer said:

I just came back from the Goodyear distributor where I bought my tires. They put a plug in it. They said a little more to the outside and it was a new tire. You have to be careful who you do business with, I guess.
I barely have 5000km on that tire. It probably still has 75-80% thread.