Starting problem?

Recently, but without any consistancy, I've run into a problem starting the car ('93 Legend, ~145K miles). It started about 4 weeks ago. The first couple of times, I would crank it, and it would try to
start, but not turn over. Pull the key, wait a minute and it was fine. Didn't think a whole lot about it.
Recently, I've been doing this - put the key in, turn it to the second position and wait for the check engine light to go out. Starts up fine when that happens. If I wait a few seconds and it doesn't go out, it won't start. It sounds like it is not getting any fuel. When this has happened, the last two times I was able to get it to start by pulling the key, removing the gas cap, putting it back in and turning to second position, then the light would go out and it started. Happened when I left work yesterday. The last time it happened to me prior to this was when I left it in the lot with the windows closed and the whole inside of the car was extremely hot. I left the windows closed again today as well since it looked like rain. It sat in the garage for about 90 minutes when I came home from work, and when I went to start it (position two etc), it fired right up.
Looking around, I see all sorts of things - main relay, fuel pump, ignition control module and so on. Should I look at replacing the main relay first, fuel pump, gas cap or is there something else I should look for?

main relay first.This holds true for many Honda/Acura products. it has a history of intermittents that get worse in hotter weather. the problem is cracked solder joints on the internal PCB;that can be resoldered -if you know how to solder.Or you can spend $50 or more for a new relay. At that age,the fuel filter could need replacing,too.
You could also have a worn ignition switch.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ordered the relay and will install it when it arrives...of course the damn thing hasn't failed again - yet. It will probably do it to me on Sunday morning when I'm about 70 miles from home....
oskiller wrote:

Doesn't matter.
If it fails to run the fuel pump, just smack the dash with the key ON, and it will run the pump for a few seconds. It's a loose solder joint. When the engine starts, the vibration will keep it running and get you wherever you want to go.
'Curly'