1995 A6 ignition key doesn't turn.

Hi,

The ignition switch in my AUDI A6 1995 has been acting up for some time. After starting the car the key would not spring back. I had to back off the key a tiny bit until I saw the Temp display turn back on. If I didn't back the key off the starter would continue to operate with the engine running. Yesterday however I got in the car put the key in but the key wouldn't turn. No amount of wiggling the key and the steering wheel helped. The ignition behaved as if I was using the wrong key. The car is stuck at some parking lot where I cannot leave the car for too long.

Any ideas about what I could do to get the car started or at least get the steering whell unlocked and unstuck the shifter from PARK position?

Thank you for any advice.

Andre

Reply to
Andre

I had the same problem on a 1990 80, and a 1995 90. Had to replace the Ignition switch. BUT.... Make sure you get your new key to work with your old door locks, or you will now carry two keys.

Reply to
Bill

I wish I had seen the following before:

Andre