A6 Auto (Tiptronic) Gear Linkage Loose

The gear selector on my 1998 A6 (98,000 miles) has suffered some form of spring breakage. It is now loose between the auto mode (left hand side) across the gate to the tiptronic mode (right hand side). It
flops from one to the other during cornering.
Is this an easy DIY fix, local garage, or should I go the main dealer route? All clues are welcome.
Thanks
Jan