Audi A4 2001 fuel bank fault

I had the engine management light come on during a long run out, I had the code diagnosed to a fuel bank fault, could this be related to ignition coils starting to fail ?
I had the light reset & all was well for a couple of weeks until another long run when it came on again.
I've heard that coils can be troublesome. Car is a 2001 A4, 2ltr. My local AUDI dealer won't help out at all unless they do the diagnosis, (they want a lot of money !!)
Any ideas?