audi GPS with no radar info?

Hi,
I'm about to purchase an Audi with builtin GPS navigation system but the salesman told me it is not updatable with radar information (P.O.I, Point Of Interest), rendering that expensive option almost useless. All
portable GPS devices have that capability.
When will Audi finally upgrade their hardware to modern standards?
--
snipped-for-privacy@apartia.fr

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:46:24 +0200 (CEST), Julius Vindex

You can still navigate, no?

When it becomes legal in Germany, maybe? Because radar warning POI's currently are not legal there.
W.
On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 10:03:27PM +0200, Wolfgang Pawlinetz wrote:

Sure, but in France a GPS without POIs is a severly crippled device. In Germany radars are less of a concern as you guys can blow off steam on your limitless autbahns :)

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that aspect. But I doubt it's a factor for such a global company as Audi that must sells more than half its production abroad. Still interesting to know.
So portable GPS devices with POIs are forbidden in cars in .de ? That must hard to enforce as even phones have that capability now...
Cheers,
PS: what do you guys think of the Q7 4.2 TDI ? I'm seriously considering it.

Speed camera POIs are also illegal in France. There have been cases of owners having there GPS confiscated for using POIs
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:19:11 +0200 (CEST), Julius Vindex

Me's from Austria, not Germany, so unfortunately there's a speed limit on Autobahns here *sigh*

Yep. It's still forbidden.
read up on pocknatvigation.de. People in germany seem to be really concerend about such a feature.

Really I like Audis, but the Q7 is the first Audi which in reality looks much worse than the pictures.
But YMMV.
Wolfgang

And in Swiss! Your GPS will be confiscated if police find "such things"... See: http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=2&NID55&Year 07&Language=1

Being from the U.S., I'm not sure if there is a difference, but here all GPS navigation information and POI's here are stored on DVD or CD depending on the year of your Audi vehicle. Updated disks can be purchased with worldwide compatibility at www.navteq.com. I ordered my update disk for my S8 in April, and am today ordering the DVD for my A8L that I purchased (used) yesterday now.
Hope that helps.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Interestingly, if you choose "United Kingdom", then Audi is not listed!!