New TT "Sport" model...

According to the article at VW Vortex (http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_1212.shtml ) Audi will be releasing a lighter weight TT, powered by a 240 horsepower
version of the 1.8T, and capable of a 5.9 second 0-60 run. Although this is certainly an appealing idea, it isn't as interesting as it might be considering the fairly recent existence of the TT 3.2, which also tests with a 0-60 time of around 5.9 seconds, and doesn't exhibit any turbo lag. I'm a little curious as to why this model is being produced? If anyone has any insight, I'd like to hear it, because with the 3.2 avaliable, the possibility of "chiiping" the less expensive 225 model and the avaliability of the $29,000 R32, I'm not sure that this model makes any sense.
Maybe it has an available manual 6 speed unlike the VR6 TT (in north america).

AFAIK the VR6 isn't available in manual anywhere that I'm aware of. Despite what the same article says.. a bit puzzling, that.
This is probably the reason for trying to launch a "proper" S variant (as Porsche et al have already done) The state of tune is still pretty mild - it's the 75kg (5% or so) weight reduction that produces most of the performance gains. You can bet that it doesn't come with a spare tyre, either!
About the most puzzling thing is why they painted it to look like a Citroen Pluriel..?
--

Hairy One Kenobi

This model seems utterly pointless, given the almost non-existent performance gains and further reduced utility (no "cargo shelf" rear seat or spare wheel).
Rob 2005 TT 3.2 DSG (bought a $650 "spare" after a broken wheel left me stranded 500 miles from home on Xmas eve) 2002 A4 3.0Q

"At Audi, TT stands for undiluted driving pleasure"
Must be a translation thing...
andyt