Timing Belt on 2003 A6 3.0L V6

The book says 105,000 miles (155,000km)! But of course the book was published before there were very many on the road. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this recommendation can be trusted?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

How long is a piece of string,

are you talking 1st time ???? if so it sounds way to long.

when I was researching timing belt changes, some said 60K miles some said

80K.

dj

2.4 V6

so I had mine done at 60K and will probably have it redone at 100K to

110K....
Reply to
tpow

Given the history of premature timing belt failures in the Audi lineup and very expensive repair costs if the belt (or the tensioner) does break on you, most people recommend replacing it every 60k miles. Even Audi decided to reduce that interval to 75k miles in later years, if I'm not mistaken.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Is there a time-span for low mileage cars? My Audi's only done 50K miles but is well past the age the belt would normally be replaced.

Reply to
Mark

5 years
Reply to
Dave

Mine's well beyond that! Is this an official figure or an educated guess? (BTW: It's booked in for a belt change next week).

Reply to
Mark

Make sure you get water pump, tensioner etc. replaced at the same time.

Reply to
iws

I personally have always used 60k - 80k miles as the time to change it. In 2004, the recommendation for both the 1.8T and the 3.0 was 75k miles (as another poster noted). No time limit is noted, but 7 years is probably the max that I would go. My car as 60k on it (or will by the end of the week) and will be about 2 months shy of 5 years. I will probably get mine changed in another 10k miles, along with the tensioner, water pump and a couple other minor things. I have an estimate from my local shop for just under $900.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

my A4 V6 2.4 service book says,

40K miles for A3, 4 cylinder TD engine only 60K miles for 4 cylinder TD only Not A3 80k miles for 5 cylinder TD, V6 TD, 5 cylinder petrol, V6 petrol (30V) & V8
Reply to
tpow

Well time adds to aging, so the condition could have been 75k or the aging period whichever is earlier. Which means you better replace your belt.

Reply to
ZapperX

So no time limits - only mileages. I wonder if this is deliberate or an omission?

Reply to
Mark

the only time limit was 3 years for plugs and 4 years for auto box oil but that excluded my long life oiled box.

my Audi was 8 years old at 61k so I took a mid point view, over a reasonable time but under the 80K plus Martins VAG said 60K when I phoned them.

Reply to
tpow

Mine's 9 years old but has only done 52K.

Reply to
Mark

the time is set because of deterioration in plastics/rubber................not use.

if it breaks it takes a whole bunch of money with it.

Reply to
tpow

Official as far as I'm aware. All UK VW and Audi dealers that I've spoken to are saying that now.

Personally I wouldn't chance it. Cars that haven't reached the mileage in 5 years will probably have done more shorter journeys which means more starts. Starting an engine puts a lot of stress on the timing belt compared with normal driving.

Just my opinion.

I'll be getting our A4 belt changed next year when it's 5 years old. Mileage will probably be around 45k

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have never had a definitive answer to this one before.

I'm sure this is normally true. I think mine has not had a lot of short journeys. It is only used occasionally.

I've bit the bullet and booked it in. Now I need to work out how to pay for it ;-)

Reply to
Mark