Tire Pressure Recommendations

Just picked up a pre-owned '03 A4Q 3.0 Sport 6 spd. I had the dealer take the OEM "sport" tires off and install 17" Z rated Toyo Proxies.
The owners manual says to check the sticker on the drivers side door jam, but there is no pressure spec, just F/R weight balance. The manual also says if you run "All Season" tires, inflate at 3 lbs. over the pressure stated on the sticker. Any advice?
Thanks
Howard
Howitzer writes:

There should be a sticker on the door jam on the right rear. It will give you recommended pressures for tires (by size) with what the normal load will be. I generally inflate a few pounds more (recommend 36, I put in 40). The ride suffers a bit with the higher pressures, but you'll never "tuck" a tire in an emergency maneuver. Check your pressures as often as you check your oil. Don't get comfortable with the thought that 40 psi will last several months -- it won't. Correct tire pressures = better safety and tire wear.
Dave '03 RS-6 Avus/Ebony http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html
Dave
http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Look for tire pressure stickers either on the B pillars (between front and rear doors) or on the fuel filler door.
Also, the 3 PSI over is mainly for winter (M&S) tires, IIRC. The reason being is that you lose about 1 PSI for every 10 degree F temperature drop. So if you inflate them now, by the time it's January and much colder, you won't be running underinflated.
Of course I strongly advise to check your tire pressure much more often than that. ;-)
Cheers,
Pete

Found the sticker. 30PSI with 3 occupants. The Proxies are M&S rated. Guess I'll run them at 33PSI. I usually check the pressure ever two weeks on my other vehicles.
Thanks much,
Howard
On 16 Nov 2003 18:58:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com (howitzer) wrote:

Hi Howard,
FWIW, I've been playing with tire pressures this past autocross season. I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports as opposed to Toyos. I've found that the suggested tire pressure ratings are pretty low. IOW, the max ratings on the tires are around 50 PSI. I run them about 40F/44R PSI cold. I've also found that my gas mileage increases and the ride feels better (and it corners better) at the higher pressures. Don't ever exceed the rated pressures though. Again, FWIW...
Elroy 2000 S4
Elroy writes:

Good advice. Thirty psi seems terribly low, especially if Howard loses a few pounds of pressure (and any tire will). At such a low pressure, tire tuck is very possibly. All tires are meant to be driven on their treads, not their side-walls.
Dave '03 SR-6 Avus/Ebony http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

few
is
their
Tyre pressures for my TT225C are 35(F) and 29(R), and can be found on the inside of the fuel filler cap. -- Doug Ramage
***Watch Spam Trap***
Doug Ramage writes:

It depends on the tire, of course, but 29psi seems very low. Lose three pounds and it is dangerously low.
Dave '03 RS-6 Avus/Ebony http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

pounds
Tyre size is 225 x 40 x 18, IIRC. I have always assumed that Audi (UK) tyre pressures were related to our less than billiard table smooth roads. -- Doug Ramage
***Watch Spam Trap***
wrote in message

I'm running a similar setup on my '02 A4 Avant (Proxie FZs). I keep the pressure between 36 and 39 PSI. I tend to aim high when I expect the temperature to drop as is presently the case and reverse it for the opposite. Like others here I believe that 33 PSI is too low.
Byron
wrote in message

Objective, rather than subjective, is best in my view - if you can, measure the wear rate and temperature across the tyre width - cold pressure is only a guide as to what will happen when you actually /use/ the tyres..
This will vary (slightly) from brand to brand, across the life of the tyre, and - as has been said - with ambient temperature. Snow tyres should be less sensitive to this, given the lower speed range..
--

Hairy One Kenobi

Just for fun, I called the dealer to see what they have to say. They recommend 35psi for the Toyo's.
Gee, why does Audi hide that sticker on the lower passenger side B pillar?
Cheers,
Howard

I believe that it has something to do with new Privacy Act which seems to cover everything from your personal preference for tire pressure to the type of toilet paper you use. In fact I feel safer already.
Best of luck with your Audi.
Byron