Where to get "split" boots to go over CV Joints ?

I want to replace my deteriorated CV joint boots without having to remove the joints/axles, inner & outer, on a '90 Turbo 200 and am unable to locate such items.

Anyone know a vendor and the price ?

Thank you, Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

You should be able to find them at any of you local parts stores. NAPA, Autozone ...

Removing the axle from the hub or the entire half shaft is really quite easy on the T44s and replacing the whole axle will cost only about $80.

That would be my choice because the split boots are dificult to fit well and even then are a questi> I want to replace my deteriorated CV joint boots without having to remove

Reply to
Tony

The message from Courtney Thomas contains these words:

Don't.

Use stretchy boots instead. Split boots return to their native state, i.e. split, very soon after you put 'em on.

We did once have someone here who claimed to have managed to get 'em to work, but he was the only one out of dozens of people who vaguely know what they're doing who've failed.

Reply to
Guy King

I stuck a pair on my a4 outer ones 2 years ago & they are still holding strong, 20,000 miles later still look ok, they are fitted in about 10 mins per side,

this place sell them mail order, I guess the quality may vary from sdiffrent brands, these are the ones I used:

part number was cvs14

Steve,

Reply to
Steve68s

The message from "Steve68s" contains these words:

The same people sell very good stretchy boots, which are not much harder to fit and way more reliable. Well done for having got sticky boots to work, but you're in a minority, or so experience in uk.rec.cars.maintenance suggests.

Reply to
Guy King

I have watched people struggle with them, thing is if you are going to remove one end of the shaft to get a stretch one on you may as well just put a OEM one on, I only use them for speed, I keep spares in the shed just encase, the big secret is to clean the mating surfaces your going to put the glue on first, with something like alcohol or cassette head cleaner,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

The message from "Steve68s" contains these words:

With a cone? They're only a few quid. Without it's a bit like trying to be a gerbil's gynacologist.

Reply to
Guy King

I tried one once on a scirocco. They are very fiddly: I gave up and just used an OE one. It was easier.

Reply to
Chris Bartram