325 E30 Numberplate lights

The numberplate lights on my e30 are not working. When I checked them, I found that there is no power getting to the bulbs. The earth is good, all fuses are ok, and the bulbs are good.
When I looked at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, the wires go back to something called a "Bulb Controller", this in turn then connects back to the "Bulb Check Controller". Now, I know what the bulb check controller is, that is the thing with the led's above the rear view mirror, bur, what is the "Bulb Controller"? Where is it located? Is this likely to be the cause of my fault?
Any help appreciated.
Robert

First thing I'd check is the parking light circuit - this separates the number plate lights from the other lights so only one tail one front each side can be selected.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.