Break Service

Page 1 of 2
When i started up my car today a notice came up that i have to take it to ''service'' i looked up the icon what it is and it was writing that the ''Rear breaks'' need service.. have i done someting wrong to cause
this? or is it normal my car is new i bought it July 2005. will it make any problem if i drive it tomorrow and take it to service tomorrow?
It's brakes, not breaks.
The warning means that you've managed to get to the end of life for the rear brake pads. This should not be happening at this point, unless you are in the habit of gassing with your right foot and braking with your left -- this leads to the left foot resting on the brake pedal, causing the brakes to be activated at a time when they are not intended to be used. (This causes poor fuel mileage too.)
You should be getting through a set of front brakes before you get around to wearing out the rear brakes, most people will use front brakes at a ratio of 2:1 to the rear brakes. If you've had brake work done on the front already, you should be about ready for more front brake work if the rear brakes are worn normally.
I get something on the order of 50,000 miles on front brakes, and about 110k miles on the rear. I can't see you getting anywhere near these numbers in a year, so I have to assume you ride the brake pedal to wear the brakes out so quickly. You _could_ do lots of stop-n-go driving, but I still maintain you have to allow the left foot to ride the brake pedal to wear the brakes out this quickly.

Sry for my bad english.. Thank you for correcting me also.. it says service does that mean that i need new rear brakes? or only service? it think i may be using my brakes to much. sometimes going too fast about 120mhp.. as you said shouldn't i nead new front brakes first? I haven't been using my car for the last 3 months could this be an answer? last week i took it out of the garage
can the reason be that sometimes i turn round the corners fast and the DTC locks the rear Tires?
Yes. The traction control apples the brakes to the wheel that breaks loose and spins. If you are in the habit of causing this to happen, the traction control will apply the brakes alot, which can account for the rear brakes to wear out before the front.

On Sat, 13 May 2006 15:28:41 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"

"a lot" is two words. :-)
--
Dan.

Thank you for your answers my friend.. I think That the problem has occurred from the Traction Control by me turning round the corners too fast.(well from now on ill be carefull) I use my left foot for the brake and gas.. So if my dealer won't replace my brakes for free under the warranty program, About how much will this cost me?
I buy pads for $50 (USD) and install them myself. The sensor will need to be replaced too, but I don't know if you can get them from aftermarket sources or if they can only be found at the dealership. I buy my brake pads at the local parts stores, I seldom visit the dealership for parts.
You can get longer brake life by switching the traction control off. ;-)

250$ the most perhaps. I'll take my car to my dealer on monday... Thanks again for all. If i switch the Traction control of im sure that i'll find my self on the paving:P
i gave my car in yesterday and have got it back today These are the parts which they have replaced: 3411010 Replacing brake pads of front and rear disc brakes 34 11 6 771 868 Brake pads 34 21 6 767 150 Brake pads 34 35 6 762 252 Brake pad wear sensor 34 35 6 762 253 Brake pads wear sensor 81 22 9 407 103 PLASTILUBE
Was is necessary to change two pads? guess how much it cost?
My guess is that they replace both front and rear.
At the dealer not covered by warranty it prolly cost around $200-250
-Branden

Brandon is probably underestimating it by at least 1/2. Demand to see the rear pads - they probably didn't need replacing.
FloydR
wrote

Floyd, the OP said his message display told him the rear brakes dequired service. The odds are very good that the pads are toast.
He likes to leave the traction control on, then mash the gas going around a corner to get the back end to kick out. The traction control mashes the brakes on to keep the rear end under control, and I think this gobbled up his brakes.
Floyd Rogers wrote:

The OP could possibly have had a look himself to see what state the brakes were in. Most likely BMW conned ...er.. I mean suggested that the OP replace the fronts too.
Sry , but what are rotors?
Erhanboy wrote:

rotors are also known as disks
--
-Fred W

If you gotta ask, you should just go to the dealer and pay them.

This is the service. I don't see you listing the discs anywhere, I have to wonder if this line item is them.

These are either front or rear pads

These are either front or rear pads

This is the sensor that detects worn pads

This is the sensor that detects worn pads
You need one of these sensors on the front and another on the rear. They are not the same sensor, therefore the part numbers are different.

At BMW? Probably around $1000. You could do the job at home for $300.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

$300? I could do that job for less than $100. PBR deluxe pads (among the best and also least expensive pads for regular passenger car use) and a piece of jumper wire to get riud of the pad sensors. Just be sure to check the pad thickness twice a year when you swap summer / winter wheels and you're good to go.
--
-Fred W

1.) I never get the least expensive parts.
The OP got both sets of brakes, and a set of rotors. I've priced the rotors at $50 each, and pads at $50 per set. Duh, that's $200 for the back brakes -- pads and rotors -- and front brakes -- pads only.
Oops, math error. I was replacing the front rotors too with the $300.