E30 Coolant level sensor

Hello
The coolant level Check control light on my 1987 E 30 320i came on and has stayed on. I checked the level in the expansion jar, and it is OK. I conclude that the sensor is faulty.
Is the sensor reparable ? I visited our local breaker's yard (in France), and not one sensor remained in the E30 wrecks. Is this then a common problem ?
Any pointers will be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.
Andrew

either go to another yard or buy a new one............what do you expect us to say..........me, I'd go for the later.

It's quite a common problem - little plastic float or it's mount breaks. Be sure to get all the little bits out of the radiator when you replace it - you don't want it to get into the engine and thermostat... They're relatively inexpensive, why don't you just buy a new one?
Floyd
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:32:58 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"

Thanks for advice. I'll buy a new one. I asked because I don't want to be caught out by a seemingly simple part ending up costing a fortune !
Thanks
wrote

it -

Check the wires carefully too, they get hot and then brittle over time, right where they connect to the sensor and back about 8". The sensor could even be ok, just needs a new foot of wire grafted on in place of the brittle stuff. You can check the sensor operation easily by putting a mulimeter across the contacts and moving it up and down with your hand.
-Russ.
I don't know how common the problem is, but why on earth would one buy this part Used? It isn't expensive, and if the used one is as good as the one you already have, then why bother? Get a new one and stop messing around with it.