E46 Headlight Covering Glass Removal

OK guys, did anybody try/succeed what's in the subject? In ETK the covering glass seems to appear as a distinctive part... however the figure there seems to apply to the pre-facelift (pre-2002) model, while
I have a 2002 one.
I was thinking of replacing these parts... Otherwise I'll have to polish them, with not-so-fantastic results from my experience.
Mike.