Help me.... I don't want to take it apart again.

(98’ 328i E36) So I decide to change the thermostat on my car. I ended up having to pull the whole radiator out and the fan off in order to reach the
bottom bolts on the housing. When I was putting it back on I snapped the head off of on of the bolts. I decide to see if it would work with out it. It did not and started to drip a day later. So I took it back apart and replaced the bolt. It looked fine, but I noticed a small drip this afternoon. Dose anyone know how to fix this? I really don’t want to have to pull it all back apart again. Do you think it will seal up on its own? What should I do?
βœ–

I changed my stat last weekend in about 20mins. Remove fan and fan shroud, 4 bolts (3xM6, 1xM8), replace stat using new o-ring and rubber gasket, and it's all done. (Refilling and bleeding the cooling system afterwards naturally0. As for snapping off a bolt, do you own a torque wrench? If not, I think you'd be better off taking it to a decent mech. Seriously.
JB
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Rampage via CarKB.com" wrote:

Well, it probably has as much chance of fixing itself as I do of winning the lottery. On my 97 328, I had no problem replacing the T-housing by just removing the fan - not sure why yours would be so different.
As far as fixing it - have you torqued all the bolts evenly? If not, that MAY fix it. Not sure, but possibly running without the final bolt for awhile, there, could have damaged the gasket, because of the uneven pressure or it got pinched - again, don't know for sure. Only way to find out is to torque all bolts properly now and cross your fingers. If it doesn't work, you will need to replace the gasket.
Last question - do you have the plastic T-housing? Could it have cracked from the uneven torque when the bolt was missing? If you need to go in again, then you should replace with a metal T-housing - see BavAuto or Pelican Parts etc.
Best of Luck
Frank
Add pictures here
βœ–
Raybender wrote:

... I think I should have. One thing I did notice was that when I put the new t state in the black rubber seal made it hard to seat the T-stat, so made it did not seat right. Is there any web site or pictures of the bolts to take the fan off with out takeing the radiator off?

βœ–

spanner in the *clockwise* direction (as it's a left-hand thread) is all that is needed to remove the fan.
JB
Add pictures here
βœ–
JB wrote:

the T-stat in the right location before I tighten the nuts on the houseing?

βœ–

old one and fit the new one (noting the correct orientation arrow if there is one). Then place new O-ring to 'hold' the new stat in place (a little silicone grease really helps here). fit new rubber gasket in housing and refit, torquing bolts appropriately. Refit hoses, fan and fan shroud. Refill and bleed system (With claimte control/heating on HOT with ignition on but engine NOT running initially). Screw up bleed screw when no more bubbles are present, fire up engine and warm up until new stat opens. Switch off, allow to cool, and top up coolant if required. Job done.
JB
Add pictures here
βœ–
JB wrote:

went in then the T-state then the houseing. Is that wrong? Dose the T-satate go in then the oring then the houseing? If so I think I know why it is dripping. Thanks
βœ–

fitted),
JB
Add pictures here