How can this be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemF07434334
Their english isn't great; but I'm curious how they can claim those #'s with
just altering the o2 signal -- and "maintain smog certification".
I pinged a few people that bought them, but they all had honda's etc.. but they swore it made a huge difference...
What kind of signal modification could it possibly make?
Cameron Starr wrote:

The theory is to fool the ECU into thinking that the mixture is too lean. This will then make it enrich the mixture. It is known that a slightly rich fuel mixture will produce more power at the expense of more pollutants in the exhaust.
Does this little do-dad work? I seriously doubt it.
--
-Fred W

From another forum:
I would venture to say that I was very skeptical but the theory is sound with these things. This resistor, or whatever you want to call it, causes the computer to think that it is 56 degrees (ideal air temp for most engines) producing a change in the fuel to air ratio. Which results in either a richer or leaner mixture, whichever is best for performance but not necessarily fuel economy.
Im not sure that's a "sound" theory as you'll be running either rich or lean and too much each way is a bad thing...
They also sell (magnumtuning.com wooho) a o2 sensor + unit so you don't even have to splice it in.
And they sell a "chip tune" that allows you to cut your ECU wires & have "check engine" light on...
Buy one & let us know. ;-)

Couldn't possibly work.... Stupid!

They claim it's not just a resistor but a 'chip' Be interested to know how an IC could work as an inline device without a ground...
It's a penny resistor in a fancy case.
--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:50:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

It's obvious. You don't need anything as crude and old-fashioned as a piece of copper wire going to ground these days. If the device uses modern technology, like reverse polarity ionization, hyper flux flow, things like that, then it can all happen completely inside the simple circuit the OP describes. Hell, it's not even as complex as a transistor. Do try to keep up, there's a good chap.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

Priceless. Excellent summary of the applicable technology.
Another advantage we should not overlook is the reduction in global warming it produces.
Frank