Noise When Going From First to Second

I have a 2001 BMW 325xi with Automatic Transmission. For the past few years I sometimes have a problem when the car shifts from first to second. The shift tends to be rough / drops hard into gear and there
is a loud rubbing noise (not the tires) that I hear. This happens most often when I'm driving up a hill, bumper to bumper traffic, or the wheel is turned to some degree at a slow speed (parking lot situation). This only occurs when going from 1st to 2nd.
I took it to the dealer and after two looks they still were not able to identify a problem.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -rw
Could be the bands are tight / loose or the planet gears are worn.