2000 S-10 Fuel Gauge

I have a 2000 S-10 Extreme and have just recently noticed that my fuel gauge reads empty when there's a full tank. Then there's times when it reads full. It reads full or empty no matter how much gas is in the tank.

I've heard that chevy will put an additive in your tank to solve the problem because they blame it on additives from gas companies. I've also heard that it's due to a faulty sender unit. So which is it?

Reply to
20eXtreme00

a fulty sending unit, sounds like the problem, more so then the additve, all thats going to do is, well probly nothing, but that might just be me, now as for the sending unit, its obviously sending the wrong signal to the gauge, or it could be that your float in the tank is freezing into place.

oh and most gas companies dont put addtives into the fule, it would cost money to do that, and they dont want to spend more money, that just means that they have to loose money. that doesnt make sence to loos money

wantu2much

20eXtreme00 wrote:
Reply to
wantu2much

Thanks for the help "wantu2much"

Reply to
20eXtreme00

i think these trucks have a fuel level sensor card on the sender and that usually fails causing the fuel gauge to not read correctly . you still have to pull the sender out

paul

Reply to
Paul

All gas companies put additives in their fuel. It's an EPA requirement so they don't foul the pollution equipment in vehicles. Different gas companies use different additives.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher