P1870 Trans slip

looking for somone who has or had this problem too with their truck that has the 4L80E trans. Ive read alot about the 60's having this problem but not the 80's. It operates perfectly but when the trans temp warms up to about 150 degrees it upshifts harder. Ive taken it to a couple trans shops and they basically recommend a total rebuild for

1500-2200 dollars. Is it possible to find what needs to be replaced without pulling the trans apart? Local chevy dealer found a service bulletin suggesting the torque converter may need to be replace due to a leak/cracked piston. I dropped the pan and the fluid looked normal. Not burnt and no debris. Its a 2001 Silverado 2500 HD 2WD. Its got 121k miles on it so it could probably use a full rebuild but I just wanna fix it cheaply and sell it. Thanks for any help. Brian
Reply to
pissshivers

I cant help with this but will make a suggestion. Before you pay someone

1500-2200 to rebuild it find out what GM gets for a replacement. And replacments carry the new vehicle warranty, ie 5 years or 100,000 miles, and according to my counterman the 700R4 I need to replace in my 91 (piss me off damn thing only has 312,000 miles on it) comes with a torque convertor. My price $1,250 plus labor and exchange. Best rebuild price I have found from a good shop is $1,300 but only 6 months, 6,000 miles warranty.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

========= =========

Cheap ?

Cheap costs !!

Cheap costs time !!

Cheap costs brain cells !!

Cheap costs aggrevation !!

and........ I don't mind charging you....... I got plenty of time................ I got a few brain cells left....... I don't mind aggrevate'n you one bit !!

so.........

if yer shure you want it done cheap....... lemme know......i think i can help you !!

:)

till then.......do this......

Tell me how fast the code resets IF you clear it out.

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.....waits on the cheap dude to get back with him~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

by cheap i mean fixing it myself. just paying for parts. i pulled the trans out once before so i know i can do it again. the flywheel broke. man its a beast though.

I cleared the code myself and it took over 50 miles i think before it came back. Then i took it to a trans shop they cleared the code after the diagnosis. that was 3 days ago and it hast came back on yet. its probably 'pending' though. it takes awhile for the trans to warm up here in the NW. His diagnosis was a TCC slip. 440 RPM's @ 50mph. Normal is 5-30 RPM's @ 50mph. Thats alot of slipping. Losing MPG's too.

Reply to
pissshivers

=========== ===========

CHEAP ??

ok.........

do this........reach under the brake pedal.......unhook the brake switch........jumper the wires togeather........

no more slip code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fact, not fiction.

:)

~~~~~WARNING AND LIABILITY DISCLAIMER~~~~~~~~~~ the above CHEAP

Reply to
Marsh Monster

================ ================

srry.......hit the send button with me palm while type'n......... hopefully....you'll see THIS one BEFORE you do the CHEAP REPAIR...........

ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS REPLY..............

~~~~~~~~~~WARNING AND LIABILITY DISCLAIMER~~~~~~~~~~

the previous CHEAP repair technique may, can, might, or could possibly .....cause you to get a ticket, rear ended, or killed. Repair at your own risk.

~~~~~END WARNING AND LIABILTY DISCLAIMER~~~~~~~~~~~~

:)

~:~ marsh ~sips his crownroyal.....lifts his palm a bit off the keyboard...... hopefully.....this dude ain't dead yet~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

LOL.

It just "broke"???