2000 Concorde LXi – Bazaar Electrical Behavior

Car has 102,000 miles. Belts haven=92t been changed yet; possible root cause. Here=92s the behavior:

Four days ago, dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree after pulling from a parking lot where the car had been idling for 10 minutes. Can=92t remember if air conditioner was on but the symptoms disappeared by themselves in short order. Can=92t remember if I turned the car on then off.

Earlier today, after driving about 15 minutes, dash lit up on a super highway; ABS, Traction Off, Battery, maybe Oil. I pulled into a station and shut it down fro 5 minutes. Air and radio had been on. Shut both off, restarted, and completed the 20 minutes remaining of my trip without incident.

On the return trip =96 without air but with radio on =96 to a station near home without incident. Upon pulling from station with radio on (no air), my ABS and Traction Off lights lit. I continued but when I attempted to switch to high beams, the engine raced. Repeated when I attempted same the second time. By the time I arrived home (5 minutes), I noticed the overhead console lights had zeroed out (all dashes) except for the temperature=85 which remained accurate.

Could sure use a clue or two here.

Reply to
jaygreg

Hi!

Are there loose or corroded connections to the battery, especially the ground?

I've seen many a vehicle go bonkers when the battery terminals were loose, and even some digital instrument panels that acted, shall we say, "spaced out".

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Don't know but I'll check in the AM.

Reply to
jaygreg

Check connections at the battery as William said - corrosion wreaks havoc on the battery terminals, but also check the positive and negative jump posts - especially the positive one - these are not the connections at the battery - these are the posts that you would use to jump start the car - the positive one especially is known for becoming loose.

Also the battery may be dying - a common failure mode for the batteries is to develop intermittent shorts, and what you describe is how the car acts when that happens. Is this maybe the original battery? If so, that is very likely the problem, and I'd replace the battery anyway even if it's not the problem because you're definitely on borrowed time with it (but if it is the original battery, it very likely is the problem).

Reply to
Bill Putney

Battery will be two years old in October (you told me to replace it on another issue back then, I believe, Bill). Checking that is gonna' be more involved than I have time for today so I'm borrowing a car and will check it out tomorrow. Man... all this to check a battery! :-)

Reply to
jaygreg

Heck.. the Hubble telescope batteries lasted for 19 years. You would think Chrysler could do better !!!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone