'73 Dodge van steering wheel play?

Hello all!

I am working on a '73 Dodge Tradesman 300 (B300) one-ton van that has been converted into a motor home. I have noticed some play in the steering wheel and I'm wondering if it's normal. It has power steering. With the engine shut off, it has about 5.5" (or about 38 degrees) of really loose free play. I have looked at the rag joint (rubber disc with upper and lower shafts bolted to it) under the hood and it seems to be OK - I can grab the rag joint and twist it and see the same amount of movement in both shafts. With the engine running and the van parked, it gets a little better - maybe 4 to 5 inches (28 to 35 degrees) of slightly stiffer (than with the engine shut off) free play before the left front wheel starts to move. I have not driven the van to see how it performs on the road, as it has a brake problem I still need to fix.

My daily driver is an '01 Toyota, so I am used to fairly tight steering. Is this much slop just a characteristic of the steering system on the van, or should I be looking at a rebuilt steering box?

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

At the end of the steering shaft there is a box (coupler) that connects it to the gear. The play comes from that. The small parts in the coupler have worn and allow the play to occur. This is cheaply fixed. The parts will set you back a whole $10.00. If you do have a rag joint (not impossible, but unlikely) that will have to be replaced. there is no adjustment for that. Good luck

Reply to
GUNBUNNY31